Email:       Telephone:  07980 147 636

Planning Permission | Planning Applications | Regs

Local Authority Planning Department must be contacted for protected trees and land.
Planning Applications

A Guide To Planning Procedures For Trees, Hedges And Keeping Neighbours Happy


Many trees are protected by tree preservation orders which means that, in general, you need the council's consent to prune or fell them. Additionally, there are controls over many other trees in conservation areas and it is always advisable to contact your local Planning Department for advice and direction.

Read government planning guidance on Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas.

If you are unsure about the status of trees, which you intend to prune or fell (or you simply require further information) you should contact your council.

The use and nature of hedges can be controlled through planning conditions and legal covenants.

You don't normally need permission to plant a hedge in your garden. And there are no laws that say how high you can grow your hedge, however you are responsible for looking after any hedge on your property and for making sure it is not a nuisance to your neighbours.

If a hedge does adversely affect the owners of an adjoining domestic property then they may be able to take action through the High Hedges complaints system introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. The complaints system specifies the type of hedge and the adverse effects that it covers and,

Read more about resolving neighbour disputes over trees and hedges on

What Permissions Are Required?

The Governement's Planning Guide is an excellent place to start as it has a graphical interface, which allows you to choose which area of your property that you want to investigate the rules and how they apply to what you wish to do. The garden areas fall into the following categories:

  • Exterior Walls.
  • Garages.
  • Fences.
  • Walls and gates.
  • Trees and hedges.
  • Adverts and signs added to the property.
  • Sheds.
  • Wind turbines.
  • Satellite dishes, aerials and attennae.
  • Fuel tanks.

How Can I Apply For Planning Permission?

There are two ways to apply for Planning permission. It can be complete in writing and submitted to the appropriate authority or it can also be completed online at Planning Applications.

The "Need More Information" area of the Planning Applications is a wealth of information and will clearly lead you through all the development stages.



Tree Surgeon & Arborist
Tree Surgeon - Landscaper - Hedge Specialist

We are an established tree surgeon, landscaper and hedge specialist business in Hampshire offering additional stump removal and fencing services to our customers using the latest developments in tree and hedge surgery.
TEL:   07980 147 636